ADVANTAGES OF FERMENTATION
Fermentation is a decomposing process where organic substances are induced by micro-organisms. The process involves the release of heat or gas. It has several advantages which include;
· In hydrogen production. Hydrogen is a gas which when mixed with oxygen, water is obtained. Hydrogen can be produced in a fermentative process.
· Fermentation is undertaken in industries to break down and re-assemble biochemicals in aerobic conditions. The by-products of fermentation are then used in the production of consumer items.
· Fermentation is employed to convert carbohydrates into alcohols. Acids are also obtained and these are used in the production of certain foods.
· Fermentation is employed in the production of wine. The fermentation process is controlled in order to have wine with a particular taste.
· Fermentation is the main process in the production of beer.
· Tea factories treat tea leaves before the production of tea actually starts. These tea leaves are subjected to fermentation process for treatment and to remove any unnecessary chemicals by breaking down the tea leaves. Fermentation also plays a big role in achieving the required tea flavour.
· Fermentation is employed in chemistry laboratories to release electrons from nutrients and obtain molecules that are used in various fields.