The scheduling of academic classes in which students attend fewer classes each day of longer time periods is known as block scheduling. It is followed in many academic institutions and has a lot of merits of its own. Some of the advantages of block scheduling have been discussed below
- Block scheduling ensures that lesser time is wasted behind class shifting and preparing for the next class. Thus it gives more time to the cause of teaching.
- It helps students in concentrating better. Since there is ample time for each classes, students don’t need to rush through the content and thus can concentrate more.
- Block scheduling helps in maintaining the flow of a subject. In a short class, often the subject cannot be completed, which could be very inconvenient for both teachers and students. Block scheduling provides longer hours to complete the subject properly.
- It is a good idea to use block scheduling for practical work, as it has been seen that long hours are best to obtain precise results during practical classes.
- Other activities like student & teacher interaction, quizzes and fun hour can be accommodated in case of block scheduling as there is time for such activities.